Randy Fife Genealogy and Links

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Why do Genealogy?

Genealogy or Family History research is very simple and fun. I was in my late 20's when I began to do genealogical research. One of the comments that I heard frequently from others my age as an excuse not to genealogy was the following:

My mom or grandma has already done all the research there is to do!

I have found this to be nothing more than an excuse not to do genealogy. Even though my grandma and grandpa had supposedly done all the genealogy for our family, I found that I had a lot to learn about my family and a lot of research that I could do that they could never do. Examples follow:

- On-line files and research. All of my grandmother's information comes from paper copies, typed on a traditional typewriter. With the on-line resources that are available, we can have access to everyone's information, and we should make available all of the information that we have. My grandma is in no position to do this.

- Additional/new research methods. Our generation knows how to find information quickly and efficiently. Just by figuring out who my ancestors were and "googling" them, I have been able to access pictures and documents from others that my grandparents and parents were never aware of.

- Ability to leverage a large network of family research. My grandparents had their network of friends in their time, and they were able to get information that way. With the internet, there is no limit to the network of people you can use to assist with genealogical research.

- The information you gather becomes yours. One of the great aspects of researching your family is that when you do find information on them, you have ownership over the information and you become a resource to the rest of your family.

- Most grandparents do not have adequate journals of their own. Someone needs to make sure that your grandparent's life is documented. The way I like to think about it is if I can get the life of my grandfather journaled, it has a minimal effect on my father or on me. But think about the impact that will have on my 4 year old daughter, her children and her grandchildren. Generations go by quickly and our grandparents information will be very valuable in just a few years as our children get older.

These are the main reasons I do genealogy.

rf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home